Saturday, November 12, 2011

"You're not disabled by the abilities you have, you are able by the abilities you have."


You’re not disabled by the disabilities you have, you are able by the abilities you have.”
Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius (born 22 November 1986) is a South African sprint runner. Known as the “Blade Runner” and “the fastest man on no legs”, Pistorius, who has a double amputation, is the world record holder in the 100, 200 and 400 metres (sport class T44) events and runs with the aid of Cheetah Flex-Foot carbon fibre transtibial artificial limbs by Ossur.
In 2008, he won a landmark case against the IAAF, which had tried to ban him from able-bodied competitions, claiming his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage. Pistorius hopes to compete at both the Paralympics and Olympics in 2012.
According to Oscar, “I had my legs amputated below the knee as a baby after being born without fibulas in both legs, due to a congenital condition. I was never brought up as a “disabled” person. As a kid, I grew up competing against able-bodied people in rugby and water polo.
At boarding school my mates played pranks on me and liked to hide my legs. When I woke up in the morning the first thing I’d have to do was look for my legs! I liked it though – my situation’s never going to change so the best way to treat it is with humour.
I began competing in Paralympic sport in 2004, although I wish I’d got involved sooner. It taught me so much more about doing your best, while able-bodied sport is just about winning at any cost. I can win now and be disappointed, or I can come fifth and be happy. It’s about the performance.”
His story is one that can truly inspire anyone. Having no legs would be sufficient reason to hinder most people’s athletic careers, but not his.
Please click on the link below to view a clip on the man himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment