Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why do we celebrate Christmas?

Well, the Thanksgiving holiday is officially over, the shopping madness of "Black Friday" has come and gone.  My family who flew in or drove in from all over have packed up and gone home and everyone is back to work. Taking the time to give thanks is something today I haven't completely perfected, but I think as I grow older I have become a little smarter and over the past several years taken the time to step back, stop and be thankful for all the blessings of God recognizing his plan and purpose in and for my life. I have struggled many times in my life and in this journey of faith.  Yes, I have been through the depth of the darkest valley although the darkness hasn't overcome me.....because I have placed my faith and hope in the "long expected Savior."  Through the stress, struggle and hardship I have risen above my circumstances because I know that no matter how cold and dark the night  joy comes in the morning and that joy is the gift of my Lord and comforter Jesus Christ. So are you hurting? Do you not have the answer to why all these bad things are happening?  Christ Jesus is the answer.
So why do we celebrate Christmas? Does it seem like we all just get sucked in to the rush of the holiday?  The stores and malls all clean up from Halloween and Thanksgiving, re- stock and decorate for Christmas.  Everyone just seems to be so busy with other things that are not of great importance. I know that children love Santa Claus and await his return to their neighborhood to drop off the presents they can't wait to get into as they sit under the tree. at school the kids have their parties, Christmas plays and sing-a-longs!
Stop and think Santa wasn't born to die for the world like Jesus did.
God gave his only Son to be born in a manager born a "King" Emmanuel "God with us" to free us from our mess and screw ups!
It is not about the warm good feeling we have when we get gifts its about giving to others.
It is about the Creator and his name is Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment