Friday, August 10, 2012

Who needs a little "Grace?"


God's Preparing, Accepting, and Sustaining Grace

John Wesley believed that God's grace is a wonderful gift freely offered to humankind. We do not "earn" it. God provides us with three kinds of grace:

  1. prevenient (preparing) grace
  2. accepting (justifying) grace
  3. sustaining (sanctifying) grace
God's prevenient grace is with us from birth, preparing us for new life in Christ. "Prevenient" means "comes before." Wesley believed that God places a little spark of divine grace within us that enables us to recognize and accept God's justifying grace.
Today some call God's justifying grace "conversion" or being "born again." When we experience God's justifying grace, we come into that new life in Christ. Wesley believed that people are free to accept or reject God's justifying grace.
Wesley believed that, after we have accepted God's grace, we are to move on in God's sustaining grace toward perfection. Wesley believed the people could "fall from grace" or "backslide." We cannot claim God's salvation and do nothing. We are to participate in what Wesley called "the means of grace" and to continue to grow in Christian life.


I just have recently been trying to have a deeper understanding of God's work of "grace" in my life. Have I always recognized God's work in my life? Today am I sensitive and always being mindful that grace was shown to me only by "Jesus on the cross"? Have I learn from past mistakes, hurts and joys? I   Honestly, I get distracted by circumstances, things to do and places to be just like everyone in the world.  "Jesus loves me -Kirk Woodard" he loves me unconditionally and has revealed and demonstrated  his  great love to me. God has prepared a way (prevenient grace) by and only through the broken body and blood of  his only son Jesus on that tree. "God demonstrated his love for me, that while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me." Take that to the bank for it speaks life that the dead may rise and the redeemed in Christ Jesus will say so. Do you know Jesus? The way has been prepared by Jesus and yes he carried that cross and died so that the world may have true victory in this life and accept and recognize Jesus as Lord.  Will you "say so" and testify to his faithfullness.  I have failed time and time again.... I am just very ordinary guy....but I know and serve a God of "grace" and mercy and for this today I give thanks. I am a work in progress but I am daily placing my life in the "Potter's" hand and allowing God to mold, shape and refine me into the image of his son Jesus. So I need a liitle grace...how about you?  Blessings to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment